Recipe from Michelle @ Heirloom-Farm_Country_Table
My garden is overflowing with basil right now! One great way to preserve basil for year round use is by making basil vinegar.
Herb vinegars are super easy to make and can be used in salad dressings, marinades, sauces, and nearly anywhere you would use plain vinegar. You can use this method with any fresh herbs to make a variety of vinegars. Have fun and mix & match. They look and smell so good!
1. Wash your freshly harvested herbs. I picked tons of basil
buds and blooms along with the leaves.
2. Place 2 cups of vinegar in a pot on medium high heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
3. Fill a 1 pint glass jar with your clean fresh herbs.
4. Carefully pour hot vinegar over the herbs until the jar is full.
5. Cover and let steep for up to 3 weeks.
6. Strain vinegar and pour into a clean glass bottle.
Uses for herb vinegars go beyond culinary applications. Get creative with your new vibrant vinegar! Basil vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle make a great multi surface cleaning spray. Vinegar can be used in homemade cosmetics too. And, they make great gifts, especially when you find beautiful bottles to showcase your product!
Send us a photo when you're done, we would love to see what you made!
If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask!