Make Your Own Organic Liquid Fertilizer Posted on 4 Jan 19:30 , 2 comments
From the Non-GMO Project,
High-Risk Crops (in commercial production; ingredients derived from these must be tested every time prior to use in Non-GMO Project Verified products (as of December 2011):
- Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
- Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
- Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
- Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)
**I am still looking for accurate figures for CURRENT GE Alfalfa** Unfortunately, that info isn't always readily available. Alfalfa is the #4 crop grown in the US behind Corn, Soybeans and Wheat.
This is why I chose to offer Organic, Non-GMO Alfalfa Meal at Mary's Heirloom Seeds. It wasn't easy to find and it certainly wasn't cheap. Non-GMO is the way to go!!!
Making a Liquid fertilizer is pretty easy. I used make Seaweed tea every year but not everyone has access to seaweed. Now I make Alfalfa Tea.
It's also important to mention that while I call it "TEA," I DO NOT DRINK IT!
Just need to clear that up.
Making Alfalfa Tea
1 - 5 gallon bucket
1 cup Organic Alfalfa Meal
Fill bucket with water, let it sit from 1 to 4 days. The result will be a thick tea. Apply generously to the root area of shrubs and flowers or use as a foliar spray after straining the solids out. The longer it brews, the better it is but the worse it will smell.
From Mary's Heirloom Seeds,
Derived from leguminous perennial alfalfa plant used for pasture and cover crop. Primary benefit of this pleasant smelling meal is increasing organic matter, although it is also a valuable plant-derived fertilizer.
- NPK analysis is 2.8-0.29-2.4
- Contains trace minerals and triaconatol
- Excellent addition to the compost pile for nitrogen content and absorbency
- Roses respond especially well to alfalfa meal
- WSDA Certified Organic Alfalfa Meal
Alfalfa Meal can help restore soil and bring back its full growing potential. With a unique 3-1-2 ratio, Alfalfa Meal is an all natural, organic fertilizer that replenishes sugar, starches and proteins that help keep your plants growing healthy and strong.
Alfalfa helps plants create larger flowers and increases the tolerance to cold. Good for all flowering plants. Research has shown that using more is not better.
This recipe can easily be cut in half by using 1/2 cup Alfalfa Meal and 2.5 gallons of water. You can also make a HUGE recipe in a large trash can if you just multiply the ingredients. It's easy to make and very healthy for your plants.
We made a VIDEO for you just to make it easier!
Sign up for our E-Newsletter